The following simple solution covers how to turn off or disable WordPress post revisions. Although I feel that most of the features WordPress continues to offer are constant improvements, I simply find post revisions to be distracting and annoying. So, I have personally disabled the post revisions feature on many of my own sites. You can too, and here's how:
Completely Disable WordPress Post Revisions
To completely disable WordPress Post Revisions:
- Login via an ftp client to the folder containing your WordPress site.
- Copy the wp-config.php file to your desktop.
- Using a text editor (I prefer notepad++), open the wp-config.php file.
- Just before the closing ?> tag (if it exists), add the following line of code:
- Save the file and upload it to your server, overwriting the old wp-config file.
That's all there is to it. Now when you edit a post, a revision will no longer be created. However, automatic saving is still fully functional. Check out How to Remove WordPress Post Revisions if you need to remove post revisions that have already been created in the database.