HELP! Windows Update keeps prompting to install Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181). I've already installed the KB936181 update multiple times, but Windows Update keeps listing it as an available high priority update that needs to be installed. Furthermore, update KB936181 keeps reinstalling. What do I need to do to fix the KB936181 update Issue?
According to Microsoft, if Windows keeps asking to install KB936181 after repeated installations, one of your system files is corrupted or has not been updated correctly. You can perform the following to fix the KB936181 update problem and put an end to Windows Update stating over and over that a security update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181) is available for installation.
Windows Vista users, please use the Fix Windows Vista KB936181 update problem post.
How to fix the KB936181 Windows Update problem:
- Click Start -> Run, type cmd and click OK
- Type ren %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old, and press Enter (Ignore any errors stating that the file could not be found)!
- Next, type exit, and press Enter
- Now, simply visit the official Microsoft KB93618 download link and manually download and install the update
- Restart your computer and if all goes well, your KB936181 update issues should be history.