Windows Media Player always opens when I insert a CD. By default, Windows XP is configured to automatically detect what a user wants to do with a CD or DVD once it is inserted. This feature is called AutoPlay. For example, Windows might try to launch it’s Media Player once a CD is inserted into the CD drive. Some users might find the AutoPlay feature annoying and want to change or disable it. The following tutorial explains how to edit or disable this option.
Disable Windows Media Player AutoPlay upon CD insertion:
- Click Start-> My Computer
- Right click your CD-DVD drive and select properties
- Now click the AutoPlay tab
- Check the “Select an action to perform” radio box and choose the “Take no action” option
- Click the apply button to save the changes