The following simple solution explains How to Fix MBR. Knowing how to repair a broken MBR (Master Boot Record), can be very important. Especially if you have installed GRUB or modified the current boot loader, rendering your Windows Operating system unbootable. The entire MBR repair process is fairly straight forward and requires only an original Windows installation DVD containing bootrec.exe to repair the broken MBR.
How to Repair or Fix a broken MBR
Use the following simple steps to Restore Windows MBR
- Start your computer from the Windows Installation DVD
- Press a key when prompted to continue
- Choose your language, time, keyboard and click Next;
- Next, click "Repair your Computer";
- Now, from the System Recovery Options dialog, select the "Operating System" you want to repair, then click Next;
- From the "Choose a Recovery Tool" dialog menu, select "Command Prompt";
- Type the following into the "Command Prompt Window";
- Remove the Installation DVD and restart your PC.
If all goes well, this process should have enabled you to restore your Windows MBR and you should now be able to boot back into your Windows Operating system.