Windows update prompting to reinstall Security update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181). After installing the update numerous times, Windows update keeps listing it as an available high priority update that still needs to be installed. Furthermore, update KB936181 keeps reinstalling.
As stated in my previous post regarding the KB936181 update problem, if Windows keeps asking to reinstall updates, one of your system files is corrupted or has not been updated correctly. In the following simple solution, I show you how to fix the problem and put an end to repeating that a security update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181) is available for installation.
How to fix the Vista KB936181 Windows Update problem
- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator
- Type the following from the commandline, and then press Enter. (Ignore any errors stating that the file could not be found)!
ren %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old
- Next, type the following and then press Enter to close the command prompt.
- Click Start, from the Search box type Programs and Features, then press Enter.
- Next, select MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB936181) from the list and then click uninstall:
- Now, simply visit the official Microsoft KB93618 download link and manually download and install the update
- Restart your computer and if all goes well, your KB936181 update issues should be history.