Change the default WordPress admin login username: As I have previously mentioned , new WordPress installations, by default, use admin for the administrator username. This admin account provides access to the WordPress backend and grants access to all aspects of the WordPress installation. Since the default administrator login (admin) is well known, this can become a security vulnerability. A hacker could perform a brute force attack on the account and retrieve your WordPress admin login password, potentially compromising your site.
In the following simple solution, I show you how to change the admin login for WordPress to a unique login username via WordPress admin panel. Changing your admin login name should help provide more security for your WordPress installation by making the administrative login username harder to guess.
Changing the default admin WordPress login name:
- Login to your WordPress admin panel
- Navigate to the Users section and proceed to Add New User, under Role, select Administrator, then click Add User:
- Next, Log Out of WordPress and log back in using your new admin login name and password:
- Once your logged in with the new WordPress admin username, navigate to the Users section
- Tick the box next to the admin Username, then click the Delete button:
- Next, you will be asked what you want to do with the existing posts. Tick the box attribute all posts and links to: username, then Click the Confirm Deletion button:
That’s all there is to it. Now your WordPress site uses a unique administration login name, making it tougher to guess your password.