I Recovered my Bricked Uconnect 8.4 after failed update

Recovering a Bricked Uconnect 8.4 after failed Uconnect software update. While attempting to install “SIRI UPDATE FOR UCONNECT® 8.4A_RA3_16.13.13_MY13_&_M14” via a USB flash drive, I encountered the error “Sierra Wireless: bolo file install failed”. The update process went smoothly up until Unit number 10 of 11. At step 10, Unit Name: Embedded Air Card, the process was stuck at 1%, and eventually timed out with the error “Sierra Wireless: bolo file install failed“.

The following picture shows where the software update stuck:
Uconnect Embedded Air Card
And this is a picture of the final error after timeout:
Sierra Wireless bolo file install failed
After the Failed Uconnect 8.4 Software Update, the update process would continuously loop while the USB flash drive was inserted. When I removed the USB flash drive, I was constantly prompted to Please Insert Update USB. It appeared the failed Uconnect update had bricked my Uconnect 8.4.

Note: It was now obvious to me that bad embedded air card was the reason why the updated failed to finish. But at this point I simply wanted to get my Uconnect system back to partially functional order until the vehicle could be brought in for service… For the simple reason that there are several touch controls on screen that do not have physical control buttons or knobs.

How I unBricked uConnect 8.4 after a failed update

WARNING: Note that my uConnect system was non-functional and stuck in an update loop. The following worked for me, and I am sharing for that sole reason. However, if you choose to follow along, proceed entirely at your own risk. I have no idea what issues these steps could cause if followed correctly or incorrectly!

With that being said, here’s how I finally unBricked Uconnect 8.4, and successfully booted back into a functional Uconnect system.

  1. First, I turned the Key to the Run Position.
  2. Next, when prompted, I inserted my update USB.
    Please Insert Update USB - Bricked uCOnnect 8.4
  3. I then Removed the USB drive while Uconnect was checking the integrity of the ISO (during Pre-Update ISO validation).
    Pre-update ISO validation

Removal of the USB specifically during the Pre-update ISO validation caused the test to fail, and broke the system out of the update loop it was stuck in. After this, Uconnect successfully booted back up, and I was able to resume using my Uconnect features while waiting to schedule and get my vehicle in for service.

This simple solution concludes how I recovered from a Bricked uConnect 8.4 after a failed update. Hopefully it helps you!